I know, I know. Another ice cream recipe so soon after the last one. I have a feeling I’m going to be posting quite a few ice cream and sorbet recipes around here, so I’d like to apologize in advance to all my readers who don’t have an ice cream maker. I just can’t help myself—making ice cream is just so darn fun!
I got the idea for this ice cream HERE. I’d never had caramelized pineapple before, but it seemed like it would be such a great flavor for ice cream. And since I’ve been meaning to experiment with non-dairy ice cream, I knew this would be a perfect opportunity to try a coconut milk base. Pineapple and coconut go so well together, and I loved the results of this ice cream!
The pineapple swirl doesn’t freeze very hard (I’m guessing because of all the sugar), which I loved since it kept the ice cream really creamy. You do definitely taste the coconut, but if you want a stronger flavor you can just add a little bit of coconut extract along with the vanilla.
Note: For strict vegans, make sure to use vegan sugar.
Vegan Caramelized Pineapple Swirl Ice Cream
For the ice cream base:
3 1/4 cups full-fat coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cups granulated sugar (see note, above)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the caramelized pineapple swirl:
1 pineapple, cored and chopped (I had just over 4 cups)
1 cup granulated sugar (see note, above)
1/4 cup coconut oil
Make the ice cream base:
1. Whisk the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk together in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan (3 to 4 quarts) whisk together the remaining coconut milk, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally (lower the heat down if you need to, to keep the mixture from boiling over). Remove from the heat, and slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to the heat and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl or container and refrigerate until very cold, several hours or overnight.
Make the caramelized pineapple swirl:
1. Toss the chopped pineapple together with the sugar, making sure each piece is coated well.
2. Heat a large, heavy skillet (I used a 10″ cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil. When melted, add the pineapple pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pieces begin to brown.
3. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the puree into a bowl or container, and refrigerate until cold.
Make the ice cream:
1. Stir the vanilla extract into the ice cream base. Process the base in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, transfer to a container.
2. Dollop the pineapple puree over the ice ream base, and use a skewer or dull knife to swirl it into the ice cream (like you would a marble cake). Or if you are using a tall, narrow container, layer the ice cream and puree). Cover well and freeze for several hours, until the ice cream hardens.