My ice cream maker is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. But before I had one, I often made semifreddos when I wanted something cold and creamy for dessert.
I created this one because my kids love pretty much anything with sprinkles (who doesn’t?). They can be left out, though, for a more elegant presentation.
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract), divided
4 large egg yolks
1 large whole egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
1. Combine the heavy cream and half a tablespoon of vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Alternately, you can beat it in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer or by hand with a whisk. Set aside in the fridge.
2. Prepare an ice bath in a very large bowl or your sink.
3. In a large heatproof bowl over simmering water, combine the egg yolk, whole egg, sugar, and remaining vanilla bean paste. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and leaves visible tracks.
4. Remove from the heat, and transfer to the ice bath. Continue whisking until cooled.
5. Fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the egg mixture, then fold in the remaining cream. Add the sprinkles, and mix gently to distribute them evenly. Transfer to a container, cover well with plastic wrap, and freeze until set (at least 4 hours).