Last week was 7 years since my husband quit smoking – definitely a good reason to celebrate!! And where there’s a celebration, there’s cake (at least in my world!). Or, in this case, cupcakes. Very, very vanilla cupcakes, topped with a whole lot of sprinkles. Don’t these just scream celebration?
I let the kids choose their own sprinkles.
And my husband got some gold stars on his, for a job well done 🙂
Since extra cupcakes around here can be dangerous (just ask my waistline!), I wanted to just make a small batch. Of course I could have scaled down any cupcake recipe, but with my math skills being what they are, I decided to first see if I could find a recipe for a small batch of cupcakes. After a quick google search (LOVE google!), I found this recipe for 6 vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Perfect!
These were really great, and I would definitely make them again next time I need just a few cupcakes. The only change I made to them was to add about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste to the frosting.
Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the middle two rows of a muffin pan with cupcake liners (six total).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix for a second or two to thoroughly combine the dry ingredients.
3. Add the butter and half the milk. Mix on medium-high speed for two minutes; the batter will be very fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
4. Add the egg whites and vanilla to the remaining milk and whisk to combine. With the mixer on low, slowly pour the milk mixture into the batter. Raise the speed to medium, and mix until just combined.
5. Divide the batter among the six liners. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature (but not too soft!)
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. With the mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment) on medium, beat the butter until it is very soft. Turn the mixer to low, and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar. Beat until well-blended. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat until incorporated. If the frosting needs to be thinned, add milk in half teaspoon increments until a spreading consistency has been reached. (If desired, you may tint frosting with food coloring.)
2. Frost cupcakes (and add sprinkles, if you wish) and store in the refrigerator.
Makes 6 frosted cupcakes
*Adapted from My Madison Bistro